Saturday, June 8, 2013

Today has been a great day


 How many times have you taken a moment at the end of your day, to pause and reflect on it?  If you are like me, the honest answer is, not nearly often enough. This makes me sad. Why? Simple. We are so rushed these days, so scheduled, that if it's not booked into our day, then it doesn't get done. I, for one, dislike living like this. OK, so here's where those of you who know me are saying, "but you are always busy!" True :)  But in my defence, my Monday to Friday job is necessity, the others I do for me.
 Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being busy, but it depends on what I'm busy with. Also it's different when you schedule yourself a full day as opposed to have someone else do it for you.
 Today was a full day. The front yard was rid of dandelions before it was mowed. The garden had weeding phase 1 accomplished. All four of us biked over to a local mini trade show. The kids and I went out and bought scooters (for them, not me!) and as soon as we got home off they went to test them out. So yes a busy day, but definitely one of quality. These are the days that count. I want to hang out with my kids while they still want to hang out with me. My little family is the most important thing to me. I just wish that the work week was 4 days instead of 5 so that I could have more family time. 
 When did things change so that being busy from sun up to sun down was the only way to survive? When I think back to when I was a kid I can recall many wonderful memories of times spent together as a family. I was fortunate enough that Mom was a stay at home Mom so we could come home for lunch during the week and there was always home cooked meals for us. Dad worked and was always home for supper, so family dinners were the norm. On the weekend we would spend time with friends and family, usually with a big family dinner on Sunday (5 adults and 6 kids most times). That was the "schedule" back then. Now it seems that most families have both parents working, kids are in after school programs or coming home to an empty house until a parent gets home. Dinners are delivered, or nuked, or from the freezer to the oven. Rush through it, do homework, put kids to bed, pack lunches for next day, throw on a load of laundry, go to bed, set the alarm, sleep, rise, repeat. BAH! Does it really have to be this way? I don't know about you, but when I have days like this I'm lucky if I remember my name as my head is hitting the pillow, let alone if there were any moments in the day that were meaningful.
  So that being said, today was a great day! I spent time with the people that mean the most to me. We had fun, we laughed. Jon and I sat on the curb in front of our house after dinner and watched the kids practice tricks on their new scooters. And now that they are all tucked into their beds, I get to sit back, relax and reflect. A little "me time" at the end of the day. 
 Wishing you all a wonderful weekend, and I hope you get time / make time to sit and reflect on your day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment