Tuesday, February 19, 2013

One small step...

 I have been contemplating on getting back to blogging. Lots has been going on the past few years and I have often thought it would be good to share. I know I always like to find a blog that inspires me, so I am hoping that perhaps some of what I have been up to may resonate with some of you out there.
 Let me back up and give you a quick over view of my last 12 years...
Moved away from my beloved Nova Scotia due to lack of employment, leaving behind my entire family. Got married, had 2 children, got swallowed up by post-partum depression, tried to eat my way to feeling good, only making matters worse. Tried a last ditch quick fix "supplements" based diet and by fate or good fortune, met a fitness instructor (LT) who actually was able to push me to get my life back on track! The "supplements" based diet was yet another waste of money, but meeting LT made it worth while. She kicked my butt 2 - 3 times a week and I loved it! I was moving again! Losing weight and having more energy! I was no longer ready to give up on myself because she wouldn't let me. Then circumstances beyond our control had us part ways. I was at a loss at first, but I knew I didn't want to stop what was happening to me. I was beginning to feel like my old self again and I certainly didn't want to go back to my days of hiding in my house, trying to eat away the loneliness. Again, as fate would have it, I opened my email  to see an offer to join a boot camp twice a week at my work place. Perfect! Exactly what I needed to keep me going. I signed up and had a great workout every time I went. After 15 weeks I started looking to add at least one more workout to my week. A friend told me to join her for an early morning spin class. After the first class I was hooked! The instructor was amazing and pushed us to work to our personal 100% every time. I became a loyal Saturday morning spinner right up to the very last day the instructor taught before moving to another gym. And because I was a spin junkie, I followed the instructor to her new gym so I could keep spinning with her. 
 Now I'm going to make a long storey, short. The new gym was GoodLife. Brand new and the only one in town. The Group Exercise manager turned out to be my first inspirational trainer, LT!  She did some crazy talk, and before I knew what was going on, I was registered and in a training weekend to become a certified spin instructor! At this point, I had been on my fitness journey all of about 18 months and could hardly believe I was actually doing this.
 Well, let me tell you, if you have ever been to a GoodLife gym and taken any of the Les Mills GroupEx classes, you know how tough they can be. Training to be a Les Mills certified instructor is no walk in the park! I won't go into all the details now, but it takes about 4-5 months, from your training weekend to getting your assessment video results back. It is a true commitment. I worked and practised and rode that spin bike until I almost didn't want to, but I did it! I am a Les Mills certified RPM instructor and I LOVE IT!  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be a fitness instructor, but here I am, a year and a half later.I wouldn't change it for the world!
 So how does all this tie into One small step? If I had never taken that first step into that diet clinic, I would never have met LT and started off the chain of events that has brought me to here and now. I believe that we all have something we desire for, whether it be getting back to a healthy and fit lifestyle, or leaving the security of working for someone else to become an entrepreneur, or writing the next New York Times best seller. It may seem like a daunting task, but how will we ever know what could be if we don't take that first one small step...

No comments:

Post a Comment